What is ACTA 2 ?
#ACTA2 is how we call the Copyright Directive on the single digital market. We call it the #ACTA2 because it’s not about helping creators with the copyright law problem. It only uses the copyright subject as an excuse to control content of the internet. The information that you post and you recieve. The copyright problem subject is just a way to finance the building of the censorship infrastructure and a way to push the legislation true the European Parliament – to fool the MEP’s that they are doing the right thing. ACTA2 is dangerous – As a directive it gives precedence for future censorship of information in the European internet. Today it’s copyrights. Tomorrow it will be political correctness, radicalism and in the end, every other point of view. ACTA2 is the beggining of the Orwellian world.
This Directive is known by many hashtags in the internet – here are some of them: #stopACTA2, #CopyrightDirective, #SaveYourInternet, #SaveTheInternet, #Article11, #Article13, #UploadFilters, #LinkTax, #Filternet, #ACTA2.
also known as the #linktax is an effort of corporate lobbing. It gives extra copyrights to press, requiring a license from the publisher for anyone who would like to use even the shortest fragment from a press relies or an article – this also refers to link snippets (the title, description and picture in a link). In effect Article 11 will kill all independent media and online polemic.
also known as the #uploadfilters dumps the responsibility for posts & comments from the authors to the owners of the websites. It offers a tool to help the owners of website to filter the content – a filtering IT infrastructure that all website will need to connect to. This filter will censor all content which will consider that violate copyrights before the post or comment will go public.
The temptation is great with such power. The infrastructure once operative, can be used to filter and block any kind of content the powers controlling it choose too and there will be no going back. YES! Today’s copyright laws aren’t great. YES! they need a change. But a change for the better and ACTA2 is a change leading to an authoritarian system.
19 JENUARY 2019 PROTESTS IN NUMBERS!
ACTA2 Time table
- 20th June 2018 - Vote of the Legal council JURI of the European Parliament - [passed]
- 5th July 2018 (rejected): Parliament votes on the negotiation mandate
- 12 September 2018 (passed): The Parliament gets a debate and a final vote on the issue before sending the dossier to the individual member states for a final decision. - [passed]
- 13 December 2018: Trilogue negotiations between the European Commission, The Council of the European Union and the European Parliament - [currently ongoing]
- Early 2019: Final vote on the issue in the European Parliament - [waiting for date]